November 19, 2014

Classic Rice Pudding

Today could possibly be a very exciting day! Now that my parents have found a house, it's time to get them a puppy!! They've been visiting breeders all over the state of Colorado (okay, nearly) and you would not believe all the different kinds of German Shepherds out there! Tall, short, thin, bulky, long-haired, short haired, pointy nose, square nose... It's been quite an adventure! I've gotten to visit a few breeders with them, and we're hoping to go back to the biggest (and my favorite!!) to put down a deposit on a puppy today! I just love tagging along to pet dogs and play with puppies. I have to admit, as adorable as my little black ball of Bracken fluff was as a puppy, German Shepherd puppies are the cutest puppies everrrr!! Pretty much the only thing cuter than a German Shepherd puppy is my Joe surrounded by German Shepherd puppies.
He's quite the puppy whisperer, that boy of mine!

Classic Rice Pudding
Printable Recipe

1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
2 c whole milk
1/2 c sugar
1 Tb cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups cooked white rice
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
2 eggs, well-beaten in a medium mixing bowl
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Combine milk and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan and scald over medium heat. (To scald means to heat the milk until almost boiling, just until it starts to bubble around the edges)

Whisk sugar, salt and cornstarch together in a medium bowl. Add to the milk right as it starts to bubble around the edges. Continue to cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth. Stir in the rice and raisins and bring to boil, still on medium heat.

Slowly add about half the creamy rice mixture to the eggs, stirring briskly while you pour. This will raise the temperature of the eggs so they don't curdle as soon as you add them to the hot pudding. Add egg/rice mixture to saucepan, stir in vanilla and spices, and continue to stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve warm or cold, top with more raisins or cream.
Okay, rice pudding is definitely one of those things people either love or hate. And I could see how it would be possible to hate it. So if you are a rice pudding hater, nothing to see here, move along, come back later. If not, or if you are undecided on the rice pudding issue, this is the one to try!! It's the one I grew up with, deliciously creamy but not horribly rich, with tender rice and scrumptious spices. I love eating it cold for breakfast, but you honestly could make a dessert or even a meal out of it!
I never liked the raisins when I was a kid, and I still don't generally enjoy them in most preparations, but they plump up so yummy and sweet that I just can't help but like them in rice pudding! Make your life a little easier this upcoming week and stick this on the menu somewhere. You won't regret it!

1 comment :

  1. Over here we cook the rice in the pudding. It's glorious! Love me lots and lots of raisins, or dried cherries! Yours looks lovely. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)