June 22, 2014

French Silk Brownie Pie

 Ah, the sounds of summer. Crickets in the evening, hummingbirds buzzing over the garden (though I've yet to see one actually use the feeder...), afternoon rainstorms, splashing in the pool... interspersed with moments of my children yelling at each other. Summer is interesting. 85% of the time, the boys get along fabulously, are a joy to be with, and summer vacation is a blast! 15% of the time, I want to throw them out the window and run for the hills. I suspect these feeling are relatively normal among mothers with multiple children; they're just so much more concentrated during summer vacation, because we NEVER get a break. Unless my husband has a night that he's willing to spare so I can get a few hours completely and totally to myself, I am on duty from sun-up to sun-down. Unfortunately, when the boys are wailing at each other and I'm morphing into Franken-Mom, it's a little hard to see that 85% of pure summer joy. Silly, isn't it?? I've got to work on my perspective! On the plus side, our camping trip was a complete success, perfectly idyllic, and I can't wait to go again. Also, chocolate. I lost my taste for it for EIGHT YEARS! But it is slowly returning. Just in time for me to appreciate really good vanilla ice cream with hot fudge, AND this pie. Which you need to add to your summer repertoire, because it completely rocks my summer-chocolate-socks. (And I RARELY even wear socks!)



French Silk Brownie Pie (adapted from Pinch of Yum)
Printable Recipe

1 batch of your favorite brownie batter (boxed or homemade)
9 tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled a little
2 large eggs
whipped cream
chocolate shavings

Prepare the brownie batter, according to package instructions (or your own!). Pour the batter into a well-greased 9 inch pie dish, about an inch deep. Place the rest of the batter in a small dish, or a greased loaf pan, to bake separately, because who wastes brownie batter?! Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Let cool completely on a wire rack, and gently press the center down if it has puffed up.

When the brownies are nearly cool, cream the butter, salt, and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the melted and cooled chocolate and mix until smooth.
With your mixer on low, add the eggs. As soon as they're just incorporated, gradually increase your mixing speed, scraping down the sides occasionally, until you get to high speed. Continue the beat for a minute or two, until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

Pour the mousse over the cooled brownie and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Serve cold for a firmer texture, or let it warm up a little if you want it softer and fluffier.
That first slice turned out a little craggier than I would have hoped, but who cares. This pie is incredible!! And really, NOT very hard. It just takes some planning ahead, because it really does need those four hours to chill. You can use store-bought whipped cream if you want, but I think nothing beats home-whipped cream. Just add a splash of vanilla and a few tablespoons of sugar and you're good to go!
 First off: that's not just a chocolatey crust. That is a BROWNIE crust. Brownies are already awesome. We're just going to take them in all their awesomeness and add, oh, I don't know, homemade chocolate mousse on top. With some sweet, fluffy whipped cream on top of that. Anything more would be overkill, because this pie is chocolate perfection!
We prefer this pie cold, because the mousse basically becomes a truffle when nice and chilled. A rich, silky, chocolatey mousse truffle. With salty, fudgey, chewy brownie underneath. If you want the classic mousse texture, let it warm up a bit on the counter before serving. I've whipped this up twice since discovering the recipe, and it just might be my new go-to summer potluck dessert, because it is just sooooo good. The Geologist got one for Father's Day, because he's the chocoholic of the family. Lucky, lucky man!!

7 comments :

  1. Boy oh boy, I wish Todd liked chocolate. This would be too much temptation for me because I would be the only one in the house who would eat it. Just wondering if you have an issue with the raw egg in the mousse? I think the elderly and the very young are supposed to avoid eating raw eggs. Just checking! If I could figure out how to avoide raw eggs, I would totally, TOTALLY make this. The heck with having anyone to share it with! Love you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, raw eggs, how did I not notice that!? Let me see if I can find you a recipe for the filling without eggs, then you can just plop it on a brownie crust and off you go!
      http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/french-silk-pie
      I love Taste of Home recipes, so I'd say this one is a good bet. We've made this a few times now, and haven't had an issue with the eggs, but I absolutely understand wanting to be safe! In fact... I think I'll make it once more with this new filling and see how it goes. Thank you friend!

      Delete
    2. Our grocery store also sells pasteurized eggs in the shell (and of course Eggbeaters); they are about twice the price of their cheapest eggs and not at every grocery store, but have a very long shelf life. They just take longer to beat into peaks, but they work well. The brand sold here is Davidson's choice. For Americans, you can email them to find out which grocery stores in your area carry them. Hope this helps someone.

      Delete
    3. Oh thank you so much for sharing!! Check these out guys!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi April. Just popped by to let you know you,ve been featured today over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...you are totally killing me. I would cut off my little toe(you know the ugly one) for a slice of this pie right NOW! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous treat, April! I would love a piece of your French Silk Brownie Pie right now with a cup of tea! I know what you mean about summer vacations too - I used to look forward to them so much, but there were some very long days when my son was little! Thank you for sharing this post with us at Hearth and Soul. I'll be featuring it in my H&S post this week :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)