April 23, 2014

Biscoff Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats

 This is just one of those weeks! It starts off simple, straightforward... and then somehow manages to unravel itself. We haven't finished all the last few details of the home makeover (our evenings keep getting interrupted), so we're still camping out in the middle of the living room in a jumbled pile. Bracken mysteriously hurt herself, but I can't figure out how, or whether I should take her to a vet because it comes and goes. I'm worried about her, so I'm not sleeping well, which of course makes EVERYTHING harder. Why is that? Such a simple little thing, sleep, yet the dynamic of our whole family can change if there is a sleep deficit. I'm thinking that's also why my Joe is deteriorating into pools of frustration. Whenever he goes through a growth spurt he needs naps like crazy, but of course doesn't want them. I must hold my ground. Besides, then I get a nap!

Mmmm, naaaaps... That sounds heavenly. Two of these and a two hour nap and I'll be a new woman!


Biscoff Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats (adapted from Bakingdom)
Printable Recipe

12-14 Biscoff (or Speculoos) cookies, chopped coarsely
6 cups crisp rice cereal (like Rice Krispies
6 Tb salted butter
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
16 oz marshmallows
1/2 cup cookie butter (Biscoff or Speculoos)

Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan and set aside.

Combine the chopped cookies and cereal in a large bowl or measuring cup and set aside.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, continue cooking until the butter solids start to brown and smell toasty. Stir in the marshmallows and salt. (use the 1/2 tsp for more of a salty-sweet contrast, or just 1/4 to bring out the buttery-ness) Stir constantly until the marshmallows are completely melted. Add the cookie butter and stir until just combined. Stir in the cookie/cereal mixture until evenly coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. 
Cool completely before cutting and serving.
So, a while ago I made Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats and said they were the best thing ever. And they were. I used to turn up my nose at rice krispie treats, and browning the butter changed all that. It's such a simple step, to make these SO much more delicious!
BUT, you add Biscoff spread to these things and they're just plain fabulous! Yet another level of delicious! And the cinnamony, salty, brown sugary cookies are best friends with that browned butter. They were made for each other. I loved the little extra hint of salt to make them more of a salty-sweet snack than just sweet, but that's up to you!
I won't tell you how many of these I ate. They boys each only got one. Bad me. 

4 comments :

  1. Those look really good April. You have me wanting one and it's not even 7 am! I can't wait to see all that you have done with your new home. It is a really exciting time for you all! (If not tiring!) Love ya! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would absolutely adore these, Marie! But you'd have to get most of them out of the house quickly, or you'll eat nearly all of them... like I did. Shame on me!! :)

      Delete
  2. Cookie butter is the best thing in the whole world. This recipe will give me a reason to use the cookie butter for something other than eating it straight out of the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Amen friend. Cookie butter is just plain heaven. Out of the jar is pretty awesome, but give these a shot, they're almost as good! :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)