March 19, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Lemon Cream Syrup

Well, I thought our family had escaped the stomach flu this season... But it finally caught up to us!! Poor little Stephen called me from school with a headache and feeling "shakey", and while the nurse assured me he didn't have a fever, I forgot that that doesn't mean much in my family. See, I have this really strange trait of having fevers that don't register on thermometers. Burning up, but totally "normal", according to the tool that means anything to professionals. And it looks like my kids inherited it from me! I made him stay there and by the time I picked him up it was clear he was sick. I felt so terrible for him!! He ended up sleeping on the bathroom floor because he was so scared he wouldn't make it there in time. Luckily it seems to be a 48-hour virus, and so far none of the rest of us have caught it... Lets just hope it stays that way!

On the plus side, the boys have been so sweet while staying home (which is not the usual state of things!), the weather is gorgeous today, and I had these awesome pancakes for lunch. Hooray for leftovers!

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Lemon Cream Syrup (adapted slightly from Cooking Classy)
Printable Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp butter, melted
Fresh berries, for serving (optional but highly recommended!)

Lemon Cream Syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup butter (use salted, or add a pinch of salt with unsalted butter)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon extract

For the syrup:
In a medium saucepan combine heavy cream, butter, sugar and lemon juice. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a full boil. Allow to boil for 1 without stirring, then remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Whisk for about 10 seconds until mixture becomes foamy, then return to low heat and cook about 30 seconds longer (until the foaming has died down), then remove from heat and stir in lemon extract. Serve warm.
(Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator up to one week and reheated before serving)

For the pancakes:
Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds together in a large bowl.  In a separate medium bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers. Add extracts, eggs, lemon juice, and buttermilk, and whisk till combined. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter, whisking constantly. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy, do not over-mix! Pour batter onto heated griddle about 1/4 - 1/3 cup at a time. Cook until bottom is golden then flip and cook opposite side until golden. Serve immediately with Lemon Cream Syrup and fresh berries if desired.
I made another lemon poppyseed pancake recipe last year, and it was pretty good, but this one is PERFECT! Absolutely delicious!! Crispy edges, fluffy and slightly chewy inside with nutty crunchy poppyseeds and the perfect amount of lemon. Not too much, not too little, just right!
And the syrup... Oh heavens, the syrup!! Don't even try skipping it. It's fantastic. Creamy and buttery and lemony, it is the perfect partner for these pancakes! I wanted to lick my plate after! We actually caught Stephen trying to do just that. It may not look like it makes much, but a little goes a long way. This is plenty.
Are you sold yet? Because this is my new second favorite pancake in the whole world!!

3 comments :

  1. Those look wonderful April! I love poppyseed anything. We used to get these really gorgeous buns out west that had a poppyseed filling that was to die for. Hope you are all feeling much better now. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your boys feel better. Flu is not nice. Hopefully you don't get it too. Yummy looking pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, they're all better. So far I'm safe! Both boys have been through it and it looks like The Geologist might have succumbed too as of this afternoon, but I'm still kickin'! :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)