January 26, 2014

Homemade Lemon Curd

It's official, especially after the last few days, I need a break. So as much as I love you, and blogging, I'm going to take February off. I'll be right back first week of March, I promise!! I just need to breathe, and clear my head. Come back with more fun ideas and enthusiasm! Thank you so much for your support and encouragement, you make me feel loved and appreciated. I'll leave you with a re-post (with MUCH better pictures!) of my favorite condiment, and one of my favorite FOODS of all time. 

See you in a month, dear friends and readers!



Homemade Lemon Curd (from The English Kitchen)
Printable Recipe

1 Tb grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter plus 2 Tb, all cut into tablespoon sized pieces

Whisk the zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and a pinch of salt together in a large saucepan. Add the butter and then cook over medium low heat, whisking constantly until the curd is thick enough to gently hold the marks of the whisk and the first bubbles appear and break the surface. This should take about 10 minutes. (took me 15, my stove is wonky) Immediately pour through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover and chill before use. (It will not initially be as thick as you think it should be, it will thicken as it sits. It should be like soft pudding, or custard) This should keep, covered and in the fridge for about 1 week. (You can also can this, and it will last about 3 months. Pour into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes, or 20 for high elevation) remove, and let cool and sit on the counter for 24 hours. 

This is one of those things I never dreamed I could make at home, much less that it would be so EASY!! It really is!! As long as you don't make it too hot, and be patient, it's pretty fool-proof!
Some recipes use only egg yolks, I like this version better. It's lighter and silkier, but full of bright puckery lemon deliciousness. Like scrumptious sunshine in a jar! Spread it on scones, or toast, or muffins, between cake layers, over ice cream... Yum!!

3 comments :

  1. Have a great month off - we all need to recharge the batteries sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing you April. This is fab lemon curd if I don't say so myself! I know how you feel. I am feeling like taking some time off as well. I need a good recharge. Love you much. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)