September 13, 2013

Irish Soda Bread

The oddest thing has been happening to me lately. For three days in a row I have woken up, no alarm, just after 6 AM... and gotten up! Usually I have to drag myself out of bed, clinging to every last second of sleep... But  feel fine! The sun isn't even up yet. Part of me wonders if I should start taking sleeping pills again... But I think I like it! I like this little bit of time before my house wakes up. Everyone except Bracken, of course. She's parked at my feet as usual.

In other news, still raining!! We called in to a helpline last night to offer our extra bedroom to anyone who has been displaced by the floods. I kind of hope someone calls... I'd love to help! Here's hoping things get under control soon in the areas around us that are still in danger, but I (and my big black beastie) will keep reveling in the rain. She takes after her mom! :)



Irish Soda Bread
Printable Recipe

3 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
5 Tb. butter, COLD, cut into tablespoon-ish chunks
heaping handful dried cranberries, currants, raisins, etc. (or leave it plain!)
1 1/4 c. buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, powder, soda, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.

Using pastry cutter, knives, or fingers, cut butter into flour until no chunks are larger than a pea.

Stir in cranberries (etc). Using rubber spatula, stir in buttermilk until dough comes together and no dry bits are left in the bottom of the bowl.

Shape gently into low, round loaf. (or two) The dough is pretty soft, so dust the outside with flour to help shape it. Cut a cross shape in the top.

Bake for 1 hour (40-45 min for 2 loaves), until toothpick stuck in top comes out clean. Serve warm!!
Another repost!! You've got to see the original pictures... Oh my. This is probably The Geologist's favorite thing in the whole world that I bake. I have no idea why, but he could eat the whole thing himself!
Soda bread is kinda like a scone, but fluffier and not as sweet, kinda like a biscuit, but sweeter and with a crumbly crunchy crust... With a hint of sweetness, glorious buttermilk taste and texture, this bread goes with everything.
I need to make this more often...

2 comments :

  1. OMG! Love this stuff. I want to make some, but not until after the pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Hug* Hilary, I love so much that you make my recipes and tell me about them! :)

      Delete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)