July 15, 2013

Goodbye Gimli

Normally I would be posting a menu for the week, but I'm behind. I have no recipes planned. It's been a hard weekend. The Geologist is gone for work again, which isn't that devastating, but my family also lost our German Shepherd, Gimli.
Ten and a half years ago, I came home from work in Tucson, AZ, and the house was abuzz. My family told me to close my eyes, and deposited this stumpy little ball of fur in my hands. What else could we name him, but Gimli? Fuzzy, short, stocky, and tough as nails (NOT!) Our family has a bit of a Tolkien dog name tradition, we've had a gorgeous mutt named Beorn and a massive Malamute named Strider. My parents had been looking at German Shepherds for months, but the day we got him was a total surprise. He was definitely Mom's dog, but I loved him too.
He has always been full of quirks, and way too silly for such a giant dog. He hated family game night, and would whine and stick his head behind the couch. We never could figure out why...
Being such a big, intimidating dog, we were constantly having to convince people he wasn't scary. He was goofy, lovable, and always waiting to administer "therapy". He was never without a giant pile of toys, and my boys adored him.


He has been my parents' constant companion on more adventures than most dogs could ever dream of, always game, always living life as fully as it could be lived, from Colorado to Utah to Alaska to Texas and finally Washington DC.
I shouldn't be so sad, he fought with cancer for the last two months and it was time to go. He was deeply loved, and loved us all back. He had a wonderful life. But I miss him. So I'll cry a few more times, stock up on recipes for next week, and take a break. Goodbye Gimli.
Good Boy. :)

""A great life together is worth the sadness at the end." -Dad

9 comments :

  1. I'm so so sorry. Gimli looks like he had a happy and loving life though by the looks of those pictures. You gave him a happy happy life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry, I know how sad this is, to say goodby to our furry dearest babies! We lost our German S. we loved and was 11 too, almost 20 years ago and I still see his pics and cry. Three years ago we lost our Pug Ben at 13 and him I still miss almost every day! I hate to see his pics! Big hugs to you dear friend...I am sad too.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your family's loss of Gimli, he reminds me of our shepherd mix, Pal. Your father's comment is so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the opportunity to meet Gimli only once (when your Mom brought him by the gym)- he was so regal and so handsome. I'm glad your family shared the journey with such an amazing companion; he sure did love life.

    I'm sorry for your loss, April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks like he was a beautiful dog with a beautiful soul. It is always so hard to say goodbye to such a friend. ((((((hugs))))) Grieve my friend. Cry. Remember. Fill your soul with all of the special moments spent together. I believe there is a special place in the afterlife for our furry family members, and we will see them again one day. It comforts me to think such things. I sent you extra special love. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss, April! At least he is no longer hurting. Big big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello April, so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog, I know how hard it is and almost want to cry with you. God bless. Kind Regards Mandy Currie (mandycurrie@googlemail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this made me cry so hard...I'm so sorry for your loss, but so glad you have such wonderful memories. Hugs to you. xxx ~Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely story and my condolences. Another gift to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)