May 15, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Muffins! And lemons!! Two of my favorite things. I'm pretty much sold on anything involving the words "lemon poppyseed". Although sometimes that can get me in trouble...(grossest muffin ever) I figured I'd be safe with this recipe. My first lemon poppyseed muffin, from the first cookbook I have ever bought for myself! All of my cookbooks until now have been gifts or inherited. This was the first book I ever checked out from the library (I renewed it twice), the first one on my Amazon wish list, the cookbook I have been dreaming of for years. And I finally own it!! *eeeee*


Second coolest thing about this cookbook? I have a friend who is friends with Dorie Greenspan! I can't wait to try nearly every recipe in this gorgeous book!
But first, Muffins. 

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (adapted slightly from Dorie Greenspan)
Printable Recipe

2/3 cup sugar
zest and juice of one lemon
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream of plain Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
8 Tb (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 Tb poppy seeds

1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tb lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease and/or line a 12 cup muffin pan. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.

Combine the sugar and zest in a large bowl. Rub the zest into the sugar. Whisk in the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt. In a glass measuring cup (or separate bowl) combine the sour cream/yogurt, juice, eggs, vanilla, and butter. Whisk together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir together until just combined. Lumps are good. Fold in the poppy seeds.

Divide the batter (it's pretty thick) evenly between the 12 cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until tops just begin to turn golden. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before removing the muffins. Cool completely before icing them.

Whisk powdered sugar and juice together to form a drizzle-able glaze. Drizzle glaze over cooled muffins.
Perfection! Lemon Poppyseed Perfection!
Lightly lemony on the inside, the perfect amount of tart, sweet icing...
And lots of nutty little crunchy poppyseeds. Yum. Gorgeous, scrumptious, classic lemon poppyseed muffins. If ALL of the recipes in this book are this good, I may have to give up creating my own!

2 comments :

  1. So is this a cookbook I should own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my the muffins looks soooo good! I have lots of cookbooks, but don't have this one. I look forward to you making more recipes from it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)