April 14, 2013

Almond Biscotti

The forces of nature have conspired against me!! The Geologist came home this weekend with a mild cold/flu-ish bug, which I have been nursing him through (mostly I just try to keep him from doing WAY too much, and making him sleep), I even stayed home from church to take care of him! And how am I rewarded for my tender, loving care? He passed that bug off to me and got better! Such ingratitude. Humph. No worries, it isn't too horrible. Just enough that I can curl up in cozy clothes and whine, just a little bit. And actually, the forces of nature must be apologizing, because the forecast calls for the next few days to be cold, rainy, and snowy! Perfect days to stay inside and recover. And nap. And watch Bollywood movies. I wish I had more of this biscotti left to munch... but I ate it in place of my birthday cake, which failed miserably. As soon as this bug leaves, I'll make another one, just for fun!




Almond Biscotti
Printable Recipe

3 oz almond paste (optional, since it's kind of expensive!)
6 Tb unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 Tb
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped almonds (raw or roasted, unsalted)
A pinch of salt
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 Tb milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds (if raw) on a baking sheet and let toast in the oven while it is heating. When they're nice and browned, remove from the oven and chop into large chunks (a few pulses in a food processor works too!) Set the almonds aside.

Beat butter, almond paste, and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and extracts and mix until smooth. Add flour, almonds, and baking powder. Mix till combined.

On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, shape dough into a 12 inch by 4 inch log, patting evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. (Tap the top with your fingernail to make sure it's hard) Remove from oven, let cool 10 minutes, and carefully cut biscotti into slices with a sharp knife. Set slices on their cut sides, leaving a little space between each slice. Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes. Remove and cool completely before drizzling.

Whisk powdered sugar, milk, and extract together until thick, smooth, and white. Drizzle over cooled biscotti.
I love biscotti. Next to Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake, they are my favorite discovery since I started blogging. After making these, I went on a biscotti researching spree. My head is filled with ideas for more! Cherry Almond Chocolate? Cranberry Pistachio? Cinnamon Raisin Walnut? Mmmm... The possibilities!
I love how most of the sweetness comes from the glaze, not the actual cookie. I love the crunchy, chewy, roasted almonds, and the almond flavor all the way through. Classic!
My goal was to recreate the almond biscottis from Whole Foods. I can't resist them! Honestly? I like mine better. :) They're not quite as perfect on the sides, because I didn't let them bake quite long enough the first time, and the middle was still soft. Doesn't matter, they're still scrumptious!

3 comments :

  1. I fell in love with Biscotti about 22 years ago. My ex and I were staying in my sister in laws luxury apartment in the centre of Toronto for a weekend by ourselves. This apartment was so luxurious it had it's own gym, and there was a coffee shop on the ground floor which had the best coffee (I wasn't a church member then) and Biscotti! BIG biscotti. Very expensive too, but I talked my ex into buying me one and it was soooooo good! I fell in love at first bite! I will give yours a try when I get back from Canada. They look fabulous! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to get well quickly girlfriend, but who knows that piece of information more than you yourself! Plenty of warm tea with that wonderful Biscotti, and under the blankets you stay. Get well real soon.
    LindaLee from
    CrossN' My Stitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your biscotti looks divine. Hope you and the Geologist recover soon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)