June 21, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

I. Love. Lemon. Lemon is my chocolate. Strangely enough, I am not a fan of chocolate! Not sure why, just lost my taste for it. So it is only fitting that my first recipe be something lemony! I started with a Cooks Illustrated Blueberry Muffin recipe and tweaked it till it became mine, the best Blueberry Muffins in the world!



My first food picture ever... :)

This recipe is a little labor intensive, but TRUST ME, every step is worth it! Most of the time I simplify Cooks Illustrated recipes, they tend to be fussy for no reason. But this one is spot on. Besides, I love hand mixing things. I love "folding" ingredients together. It makes me feel like I could be a mom from 100 years ago, baking the best baked goods in the county.


Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Printable Recipe

    Lemon-Sugar Topping:
    zest from 2 lemons
    1/3 cup sugar (2 1/3 ounces)
    2 cups fresh (or frozen!) blueberries (about 10 ounces)
    1 & 1/8 cups sugar plus 1 teaspoon
    2 & 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon table salt
    2 large eggs
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

      1. Mix zest and sugar with your fingers, rubbing the zest into the sugar, set aside.
      2. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Bring 1 cup blueberries, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing berries with spoon several times and stirring frequently, until berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
      3. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Whisk 1 & 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in medium bowl until thick and homogeneous, about 45 seconds. Slowly whisk in butter and oil until combined. Whisk in buttermilk, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and vanilla until combined. Using rubber spatula, fold egg mixture and remaining cup blueberries into flour mixture until just moistened. (Batter will be very lumpy with few spots of dry flour; do not overmix.)
      4. Fill each muffin cup almost, but not quite full. Spoon teaspoon of cooked berry mixture into center of each mound of batter. Using chopstick or skewer, gently swirl berry filling into batter using figure-eight motion. Sprinkle lemon sugar evenly over muffins. (it looks like a lot of sugar, trust me, use it all!)
      5. Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating muffin tin from front to back halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
        Don't they look amazing? 
        Rich and moist, lightly lemony, and that lemon sugar bakes to a crisp crackly crust on top. 
        They don't need butter, or any topping for that matter, but who cares, go for it! :)
        Still my favorite muffins ever. 

    6 comments :

    1. This post is good enough to eat, right through the computer screen! The recipe looks and sounds fantastic- I'll definitely give it a go. Found your blog thanks to your mom linking it on FB :)

      Figured any kid of hers HAS to be full of the awesome, too. Anyway.

      Nice to 'meet' you, April.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Nice to meet you too!! My mom is pretty full of awesome. :) thanks for being my very first commenter!

      ReplyDelete
    3. As a lemon junkie, I'm all over this one. I'm going to fiddle with it, see if I can come up with a gluten free version (a tricky endeavor, but I'm up for the challenge!)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Is that you, Kelly?? If so, YAY!! I was hoping you'd stop by and take a peek!!

        Delete
    4. 'Tis me! My fridge is always stocked with lemons, but I can seldom think of anything more clever for them than plain ol' lemonade (although I shouldn't belittle it; fresh lemonade is pretty much the best drink of all time). Tell me, do you put the lemon zest in this? I think I see lemon shavings in one of the pictures but not in the ingredients list. Maybe I should read the actual recipe carefully, haha

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. There is lemon zest in the topping, lemon juice in the blueberries and lemon juice in the batter :) Try the Summer Cake (you can skip the raspberries)if you want more lemony-ness!! And there will be many more on the way :)

        Delete

    Your comments really DO make my day, and I promise to try and reply to each and every one, either through email or on here :)